University partners with Leeds Digital Festival
The Leeds Digital Festival, celebrating digital culture in all its forms, starts on Monday 16th April and runs until 27th April.
The University of Leeds is a key supporter for this year’s festival and is partnering with organisations from across the digital sector to give the public the opportunity to learn from digital professionals working throughout the city.
In amongst over 150 events at the Festival, many of which are free to attend, there will be several involving the University of Leeds, including:
- University of Leeds Fair: Tackling the Digital Skills Gap on 23 April. This fair in Parkinson Court will look at how the digital skills gap can be tackled, and showcase a range of potential solutions such as creating online learning courses for businesses, blended learning degrees, and degree apprenticeships offered in partnership with business.
- Immersive Technologies (AR / VR) at University of Leeds on 18 April. Get a taste of the variety of research which uses immersive technology across the University, with talks and demonstrations from projects looking at hand-eye coordination, driving and pedestrian simulation, and using VR to train medical students in surgery.
- #AlgoraveAssembly on 27 April. Most of us at MEETinLEEDS missed the UK rave scene in the late 80’s and early 90’s as we were still in short pants. However, this event promises to be one of the highlights of the festival after its raving success last year. A live coding masterclass, panel discussion and two concerts at the School of Music, which feature performers from the forefront of the Algorave scene, including OFFAL, The Yorkshire Programming Ensemble (TYPE), NikNak, and multiple breakbeat DJ’s.
We also have our beady eye on some other extremely interesting events, such as:
- The Future of Social – The Social Media Geek on 17 April at Duke Studios. Becky Boyd, better known as the social media geek, looks at how social media is changing and where it will be heading over the next 5 years. As keen Twitter and Facebook devotees, we attended Becky’s excellent session on managing social presence last year, so we can’t wait for this one!
- Goal XD: What Makes A Great World Cup Poster? on 19 April at the Banyan Bar & Kitchen. We love the beautiful game, especially the great posters that advertise the World Cup (the Spain 82 design by Joan Miró, along with the individual city posters, are all beautiful) so this graphical journey through the history of World Cup poster design is right up our alley.
- The Future of Transport in the North on 26 April at Munro House. This full day event by the Open Data Institute here in Leeds will explore examples of digital innovation currently taking place within transport, from dockless bikes to smart ticketing to mobility-as-a-service. The technological advancements in transport can only be good thing for conferences and events in Leeds, so we can’t wait to see what’s in store!